We have four unique planners to help brides simplify their planning and get more sleep. These interactive full color wedding journals make organizing your Chincoteague VA wedding a breeze!
- Our Beach Wedding organizes invitations, transportation, decorations, bridal party responsibilities, vendor contacts, music & more. A beach bride’s best friend!
- The Ocean As My Witness is a book of Lighthearted & Romantic Wedding Vows. The Simple & Fun ceremony designer makes it easy to create and customize vows.
- Our Wedding Reception is a contemporary planner for busy brides. Manages seating charts, menus, cocktails, toasts, speeches, vendor timelines, gifts & more.
- Our Honeymoon is a Beautiful Journal with with detailed Bride & groom packing lists + Honeymoon Tips from travel experts. Perfect for cuddling & couple bonding!
Chincoteague brides will need a Marriage License issued by the Accomack County Clerk. The phone number is 757-787-5776. There is a 72 hour waiting period before you can be legally married. Legally ordained ministers may Officiate a Chincoteague wedding if they have a certificate of ordination and receive authorization from a Virginia circuit court. VA marriages do not require witnesses.
Chincoteague beach weddings require a permit from the National Wildlife Refuge. The number is 757-336-5273.
- Marina Bay Hotel is a full service wedding venue. Outdoor dining is available on the patio. Wedding ceremonies of up to 60 guests are available on the pier. The Oasis Room is available for intimate receptions.
- Captain’s Cove offers gorgeous views of the Chincoteague bay. Their contemporary golf and yacht clubs offers spectacular photo opportunities. Delicious food and excellent waterfront service.
- Ropewalk is a family friendly wedding venue with a playground for the kids. This this tropical oasis sits on the bay and has its own beach. Tiki bar with live music is perfect for casual weddings & informal receptions.
- Island Manor House bed and breakfast can host destination weddings of up to 100 guests. Brides can get married in the courtyard or the gardens. On site wedding coordination and reception planning is available.
Is Chincoteague Virginia’s best beach for weddings?
Chincoteague is beautiful for beach weddings! We’ll help you get a marriage license and beach permit. We’ll preview ceremony locations and explore the top wedding venues on the island. It’s gorgeous coast and stunning wildlife attract thousands of visitors each year. This laid back coastal treasure is the perfect backdrop for a simple ceremony on the sand.
Chincoteague is part of the beautiful 37 mile barrier island of Assateague. The northern Maryland side stretches for 25 miles and the Virginia side extends for 12 miles to the south. Assateague Island is famous for it’s wild ponies. Each year on the last Wednesday in July they round up the ponies for the Chincoteague Pony Swim festival and auction. Legend has it that the ponies arrived in the 17th century when a Spanish ship wrecked off the coast. The ponies have been there ever since. Sometimes they’ll get close enough to be in your wedding photos!
Do brides need a Chincoteague Beach Wedding permit?
A wedding permit is required to get married on the beach. Permits are issued by the National Wildlife Refuge system. Decorations may be set up an hour prior to the ceremony. They must be taken down an hour after the wedding is completed. The permit can be requested three months prior to the ceremony but no later than two weeks before the scheduled wedding date. The permit is free. All guests must pay park fees to enter. Ceremony times are should be close to sunrise or sunset in the summer. Our Beach Wedding is the perfect organizer for brides planning on tying the knot in Chincoteague.
Where are the Chincoteague Weddings held?
There is one main beach for swimming and recreation that has lifeguards. Most of the Chincoteague weddings take place here. When you pass the park station to the main entrance, there is a small stretch of sand to the left. Your guests will easily be able to find the ceremony site. The right side is a bit more vast. Our beach wedding tips are full of ideas to reduce stress and stay within your budget.
The most famous landmark on Chincoteague is located in the National Wildlife Refuge. It is a 142 foot high lighthouse that has been an icon of the island since 1833 and has been a popular spot for wedding pictures. The most famous denizen of the Refuge is the wild pony. Legend has it that the ponies arrived in the 17th century when a Spanish ship wrecked off the coast. The ponies have been there ever since. Even when full grown, the ponies remain smaller in stature than other North American horses. While taking pictures from a respectable distance is allowed, touching or feeding the ponies is prohibited. They are wild and their kicks and bites can be dangerous. A movie titled Misty of Chincoteague depicts the island.
Chincoteague is blessed with stunning natural beauty, diverse wildlife and impressive array of waterfront seafood restaurants. This places it at the top of the list of Virginia’s beach wedding destinations. They say “Virginia is for Lovers” and we have to agree. This southern gem of the Assateague peninsula is ideal for destination weddings and honeymoons. You might even have a pony crash your ceremony!