Lewes Beach Weddings
Lewes is a charming destination for a wedding on the Delaware beach. This beautiful Victorian village sits north of Rehoboth and is separated from Cape May New Jersey by the Delaware Bay. Getting married on the Lewes beach is easy. We’ll go over the permits and marriage license and then rank the best wedding venues in Lewes, DE. Couples can elope to the beach for just $550.
Do you need a Permit to get Married on the Beach in Lewes?
Yes, couples getting married on the beach will need a Lewes Wedding Permit. The non-refundable fee for a ceremony on the beach is $200. Lewes has three main beaches for weddings. They are simply named Beach One, Beach Two and the Roosevelt Inlet. Beaches one and two can accommodate 200 guests and Roosevelt is restricted to 100. Pilot Point and Cape Shores may be available upon request. Permits are issued by the City of Lewes. The number is 302-645-7777. Receptions are not allowed on the beach and amplification of music needs approval from the City Manager. Alcohol and smoking are not permitted. During peak season, Lewes beach weddings should take place either before 9 AM or after 6 PM.
Couples getting married in Lewes will need a Delaware Marriage License. The closest location is the Sussex County Clerk in Georgetown, DE. The Marriage License must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to the ceremony.
Who can Legally perform a Lewes, DE Ceremony?
Any Wedding Officiant or Minister may perform a ceremony on the Lewes Beach if they are properly ordained. Ministers may need to provide their current Certificate of Ordination to validate the ceremony. Couples receive three copies of their Delaware Marriage License in a folder. The Minister and two legal witnesses are required to sign each copy. The married couple receives a copy, the Minister keeps the second and the third is mailed to the clerk after the ceremony.
What are the Best Wedding Venues in Lewes?
Lewes has several nice wedding venues. It’s delectable restaurants are renowned for imaginative cuisine and attention to detail. Many of the top venues and vendors can be found at the Seacrets OC Bridal Show in April. Here are our favorite 2021 Lewes Wedding Venues:
- The Inn at Canal Square is an elegant wedding venue overlooking the Lewes Canal. The Parkview room can seat up to 55 guests and the outside courtyard can be tented for larger receptions.
- The Covered Bridge Inn is a few miles from the downtown waterfront, but it’s one of the best wedding venues in Lewes. Guests can spend the night on the B& B style farm and additional accommodations are available at their sister property the “Honey Bee”.
- Hotel Rodney has a fabulous location in the heart of downtown Lewes. This contemporary British themed boutique hotel can host weddings of up to 50 guests in its cozy banquet room.
- Agave is the premier Mexican restaurant in Delaware. This swank tequila bar has been expanding for years and is now offering to host private events and weddings. A festive spot for rehearsal dinners and after parties.
- Nassau Valley Vineyards is the top winery in Lewes and has a warm rustic ambience. The largest wedding venue in Lewes, it’s spacious halls and alcoves can accommodate up to 400 guests.
- Lewes Yacht Club is a private wedding venue with a gorgeous view of the bay. Weddings must be either hosted or sponsored by a member of the club and must take place between September and May.
- 2nd Street Tavern is the newest hot spot in Lewes. Previously the Buttery, this new pub style ale house has lively entertainment and is a good final destination for Lewes wedding reception after parties.
- Rose & Crown is an upscale British pub underneath of the aforementioned Hotel Rodney. A nice spot for rehearsal dinners, small wedding parties and elopements.
With its seaside Victorian charm and diversity of lodging, it’s easy to see why Lewes has become a popular wedding destination for Delaware beach brides.